Our School » History


100+ Years of Progress

original building32nd Street/USC first opened its doors in September of 1904 on the corner of 32nd Street and Hoover and was surrounded by residential homes. The original school was a two story brick building and is pictured here. The original school was damaged by an earthquake in the early 1970's and was torn down because of its perceived instability. Thereafter, between 1971 and 1974 a wooden school building was created and bungalows were actually built on site in support of that wooden structure. This wooden structure was subjected to a major fire, which again destroyed the primary building and finally, the school became a series of bungalows in addition to the main administration building that now currently exists.

The LAUSD/USC Math, Science and Technology (MaST) High School began in 1994 as a collaboration between LAUSD, USC and the California National Guard (initial plans called for temporarily housing the school in National Guard facilities). The magnet was designed for college-bound students focusing on basic and applied sciences, math and technology. MaST opened – temporarily, it was thought – on the 32nd Street/USC School campus until another location could be found.  

1938 classroomIn honor of her 105th birthday, 32nd Street/USC MaST K-12 will receive a major face lift which will include the removal of some bungalows and the building and completion of a two-story, 12 classroom building, replete with additional restroom facilities and an elevator.

The school is the largest drawing magnet school in LAUSD with some 3, 700 applications being filed for 160 spaces. The teachers and staff of the school are the reasons why the applications reach such enormous proportions. We are small, but we are mighty. We are committed, we put students first and we are..... 32nd Street/USC MaST K-12 and are proud to be!